Click HERE to download a building permit application form.
For Development and Building Permit Application Packages, please contact the department at 780-826-3496. Permit fees can be obtained by contacting the Development Technician.
A Building Permit is permission or authorization in writing to allow for commencing of construction. A Safety Codes Officer will review, approve and inspect your project, to ensure that it complies with the Alberta Building Code.
A person shall not commence any building unless a Building Permit Application has been approved and a Building Permit has been issued.
When do you need a Building Permit?
A Building Permit is required for:
- the erection or construction of any building; this includes prefab garden or tool sheds
- the alteration of any building, including extension, enlargement, improvement, addition, or conversion of any building
- the repair of any building
- the demolition of any building
- the excavation of any land for the purpose of erecting or locating on or above any building
- the installation or use of any mechanical equipment specifically governed by the Act
- the relocation of any building or part thereof
- the occupancy of any building or part thereof
- the installation of a fireplace or any other solid fuel burning appliance regardless of cost of installation.
When do you not require a Building Permit?
A Building Permit is not required for:
- painting and decorating
- minor repairs not exceeding $1,000.00 in value where matters affecting health or safety are not involved and where structural changes are not involved
- repair or alteration to any heating, ventilating or air conditioning system which is of minor nature and which in the opinion of the Inspector will not hinder the satisfactory operation of the system, and does not involve a matter of health or safety to the occupants of the building
- fences or gates that conform to the Land Use By-Law
The application shall be made to a Safety Codes Officer at the Town Office.
Building Application Submission Requirements
Each such application shall:
- identify and describe the work to be covered by the permit for which the application is made;
- describe the land on which the proposed work is to be done, by legal description, and building street address, or similar description that will readily identify and definitely locate the proposed work;
- show the use or occupancy of the work;
- be accompanied by plans and specifications as required in the Building Permit By-Law (for more information, please contact us);
state the valuation of the proposed work;
- be signed by the owner of the land or his authorized agent, who may be required to submit evidence to indicate such authority;
- give such other information as may be required by the Building Inspector.
Both a Development Permit and a Building Permit are required for most building construction and additions in the Town of Bonnyville. You may need a Building Permit in addition to your Development Permit