Mayor Gene Sobolewski was elected as Mayor of the Town of Bonnyville on October 21, 2013 and re-elected on October 16, 2017. He was first elected as a Town Councillor in 2004 and enjoyed three terms as a Councillor before being elected as the Mayor. He has lived in the area since 1999 and his three children are grown.
He is currently employed by Associated Engineering and has over 28 years of Municipal experience in terms of Engineering, Public Works Administration, Project Management and Financial. Gene also continues to volunteer his time and enjoys working with organizations in the community as follows:
- Lead Guitar player and vocalist with a local band
- Volunteer with the Royal Canadian Legion
- Cribbage and singing for the Seniors
- Volunteer with Knights of Columbus
- Chairman of the annual Christmas Hamper campaign
- Assist in Coordination for the Santa's Elves Program